Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Roto-rooting


















As I created illustrations for a recent movie project, I wondered if the illustrations would be an appropriate medium to tell my story. (See an example of the illustrations here, but know the text has been given a much-needed overhaul.) Since the tale is a zombie love story, I felt the simple, humorous illustrations would be appropriate. (Let me know if anyone thinks otherwise ...)

That line of questioning reminded me of rotoscoping. Richard Linklater's films "Waking Life" and "A Scanner Darkly" rely on the specialized animation technique, and the peculiar style it imparts contributes a certain tone to each film. Both films have to do with perceptions of reality, and the blurred edges and wavering images created by rotoscopinig help the viewer question what is real and what is not real in each film.

This type of animation, however, is not always appropriate. I get angry each time Charles Schwab releases a new rotoscoped television commercial. Why, Charles Schwab? Why?

Sure, it looks cool. Maybe someone who would typically leave the room during one of your commercials will take a second look, but what does it contribute to the meaning of your commercial. Let me help you out here: Nothing. No-thing. All it says is that Schwab, like so many companies, is trying desperately to reach the coveted 18-34 year consumer group.

Well, Schwab, I'm one of them, and your commercials annoy me. (Though, I might be a bit of a geek, so I suppose I don't speak for the whole demographic.)

2 comments:

Laura M said...

I thought the first two of those Schwab commercials were a great idea. It made you actually listen to what the character was saying. But, it soon became old, and it makes the actors even less believable as people telling their real story. Schwab should take their creative in a different direction.

As far as your illustrating goes, I think what I saw in class worked really well. I agree with most of the crit suggestions to tweak a few frames to better match the narration (i.e. have the girl look sad when she is crying over her father).

I can't wait to see your revision. I know it is going to be awesome, when it is polished and we can hear it better.

m4rk said...

Now that I have a better handle on iMovie, I'm actually looking forward to revising it.

Thanks for the encouragement!