Thursday, October 18, 2007

Words and images

















I'm looking for a little guidance here. I'm wondering if anyone can turn me on to some graphic novels that take interesting approaches to graphic design. When I was younger, I was definitely into some comics, but that pursuit seems to have faded. (And, these days, calling a graphic novel a comic could prove dangerous.)

Anyway, I've been told that "The Watchmen" is pretty incredible, but my impression is that the writing is what is unique. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Regardless, I'd like to get over to Atomic Books soon, anyway, so if no one has any suggestions, I'll post some of my own in the future. At the very least, I know they stock lots of Taschen books, which will work wonders toward expanding my design library.

2 comments:

Dave The Game said...

Mark- I've got a pretty decent graphic novel library if you want some recommendations. I'll take a look and see what I'd recommend design-wise.

And Watchmen is incredible, both in story and design. The design uses a lot of alternating color palettes in panels to great effect to show parallel scenes. I've got it if you want to borrow it.

m4rk said...

I'd love to borrow it! Actually, I was wondering if you were the one who told me about it ...